September 27, 2017

New Orleans Travel Diary | Food


New Orleans has amazing food! It was hard to narrow down the places we wanted to eat at, but we managed! My sister and I are major foodies therefore we like to indulge when we travel. I'm breaking down our food adventures in NOLA today on the blog!



Brennan's was conveniently located nearby our hotel. As soon as checked in we freshened up and headed out to fuel up for the day. I made reservations in advance. I can't even begin to describe how cute this spot is and the service is exceptional! For breakfast we ordered the Summer Vegetable Frittata and Vanilla Scented French Toast and New Orleans Style Coffee. The food was phenomenal and I quickly became obsessed with the chicory & dark roast coffee. If you are a coffee lover I highly recommend ordering chicory & dark roast coffee while you are in NOLA!



Surrey's Cafe and Juice Bar is known for it's variety of fresh juices. A friend on Instagram (Laura) recommend this cute place for breakfast and I'm so glad she did! It's located right off Magazine St and a perfect place to start the day if you plan on heading out to the Garden District. We ordered the Crab Meat Omelette and Huevos Rancheros. Such a cute place and super friendly staff!



My sister and I were on our way to French Truck Coffee in the French Quarter but we detoured to Salon by Sucre. I'm so glad we did because this place has some delicious deserts and the sweetest staff! We ordered the Trifle, Strawberry Key Lime Tart, and Cafe Glace. One of the staff members, Linda, went out of her way to make us feel welcomed. She is genuinely the sweetest person ever and totally made us laugh! Thanks for the yummy chocolate Linda! We also bought some chocolate souvenirs for our family and they really enjoyed it!




Commander's Palace is an iconic New Orleans restaurant in the Garden District. I highly recommend making a reservation in advance. For lunch we ordered the marinated heirloom tomatoes, Caribbean curried shrimp, and creole bread pudding soufflĂ©. Everything about this place is perfections - the staff, decor, service, food, ambience - it's all amazing. No wonder its been voted one of the best restaurants year after year!



Mother's Restaurant was another place recommended by Laura for Po' Boy Sandwiches. We had the combo shrimp and oyster po' boy sandwich. It was absolutely delicious!!!! My sister and I actually shared a sandwich and were extremely stuffed!




If you go to New Orleans and don't try Gumbo then you never really went to New Orleans! I searched for a Gumbo well in advance to find a place that had seafood gumbo and no pork or ham in it . The Gumbo Shop has a delicious seafood okra gumbo that I highly recommend! I ordered the cup of gumbo and the special of the day BBQ Creole Shrimp and my sister got the entree size gumbo. Everything was delicious!



1000 Figs is outside the city and totally worth the 15 minute uber ride. The food is DELICIOUS! They don't take reservations and only have a few tables, therefore get their early if you are a big group. We only had to wait a half hour for a table for two on a Thursday night. When I sent the menu for this place to my sister she responded in all caps and exclamation points that we need to go here. The food is incredible! We ordered the feast and it was more than enough food for the two of us! Our waitress also recommended the hibiscus ice tea and it was very refreshing!




On our last night we went to St. Roch Market. This market is foodie heaven! There are so many options that you could spend the whole day here! For dinner we ordered BBQ Shrimp PoBOY from Elysian Seafood, shrimp tacos and elote from La Mezcla Mexicana, and charbroiled oysters from Elysian Oyster Bar. I am now obsessed with charbroiled oysters! One of our uber drivers recommended it and I'm so happy she did. It's the only way I will be having oysters from now on!




Cafe Du Monde is a must! After eating their delicious beignets I've realized all the beignets I've had in the past were faux and a totally lie. There are several locations but the original is on Decatur in the French Quarter. It is open 24/7 and cash only. Thankfully we went on a Wednesday afternoon and there was zero wait and we easily got a table and enjoyed the delicious powdery treats!


Aunt Sally's Pralines are another must while in NOLA. We tried various kinds but my favorite was definitely the original. These delicious goodies also make for some great souvenirs!


I found Drip Affogato Bar on Instagram and I instantly added it to our itinerary. I am obsessed with affogato and this place is heaven. They offer an affogato flight with four different delicious flavors. The flavors include the classique, matcha matcha, cookie monster, and Vietnamese coffee. The Vietnamese coffee was by far my favorite!! This place is conveniently located off the St. Charles streetcar for easy access!

Be sure to check this blog post for my full New Orleans itinerary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2016 A Day in the Lalz | design + development by kelly christine studio