April 10, 2015

Friend Feature Friday | Sakina

Meet this week's Friend Feature Friday Sakina Fatima from New Mexico! 





I have known Sakina since I was about 11 years old! We both went to the same middle school (Crescent Academy International) in Michigan and an added bonus her mom was my fifth grade teacher! I remember always looking up to Sakina for two reasons - one she was an upperclassman therefore she was cool! Secondly because she was the sweetest, kindest, and most genuine person - even as a teenager! I just recently switched schools to CAI and I felt so lost and was very shy but I distinctly remember that Sakina was always kind to me. She always said hi to me in the halls and the awkward fifth grader in me felt so cool that an upperclassman knew my name and talked to me! Thanks to technology we were able to keep in touch even though we were no longer at the same school. Last summer we had the chance to reconnect and she was kind enough to share the exciting news that Elevation Burger was opening up in Ann Arbor (read about it here) and introduce me to the owner Michael Tayter. Fast forwarding to present day she is paving her own path with being a columnist and a YouTuber in addition to expecting her first child with her hubby. She is such a sweet soul and I'm blessed to have her in my life and will always grateful to her for being such a sweet friend to me from a young age.
Keep reading and get to know Sakina!

1) Educational Background?

B.A. in Linguistics and Islamic Studies from University of Michigan, 2008
Semester Abroad at American University of Cairo, 2007

2) Current Job Title?

Columnist at Examiner, I'm the Ann Arbor Islamic Issues Examiner and YouTuber    

3) Zodiac Sign? Age?

Let’s just say I encompass most of them -- the only ones not to make an appearance in my birth chart are Gemini, Sagittarius, Taurus, and Pisces I think!, 29

4) Ethnic Background?

Black American, with some Seminole and Black Foot Native American.

5) Why did you choose or why do you love your profession/field of study?

I always felt I better expressed my views in written form and as I grew older I found I had many experiences to tell. As for becoming a YouTuber in 2013, it was to get over my timidity and to improve as an orator and teacher.    

6) What is the most rewarding thing about your profession/field of study?

Having a positive impact on individuals who I may not reach otherwise.    

7) What is your 5-year goal?

To meet the needs of the child I am currently carrying and any others I may have and have a more solid concept in place for fulfilling my life purpose(s).

8) What are your hobbies or interests outside of your profession/work?

Reading and reading/interacting on Tumblr.

9) Favorite Website? 


10) Favorite TV Show? 


11) Next travel destination? 

United Arab Emirates (UAE)

12) Who is your style icon?

I always like what Natalie Joos posts on her blog Tales of Endearment but her and I have very different body shapes. I suppose Sheikha Mohza always has impeccable style and we share a more similar body type, so I’d love to have my way with her wardrobe one day!

13) What are 3 wardrobe staples you can’t live without?

Camisole tops, an LBD (the ‘L’ stands for long in this instance! Like an abaya), and a hoodie.

14) Three words that describe your style or personality?

 Fun, Spiritual, and Self-Aware.

15) What would you tell your 20 year old self?

You aren't compelled to spend time with anyone who makes you feel low and Islamic teachings back me up on that!

Social Media | YouTube // Twitter // Google+ 

"There is a morning inside you waiting to burst open into Light." - Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2016 A Day in the Lalz | design + development by kelly christine studio